The Proper Title for a Woman



I recently had to fill out a registration form for a conference.  One of the questions surprised me; it asked how I wanted to be addressed.  I put down the Marchioness of Ormond.  After all, the position is open.  The 7th (and last) Marquess of Ormond died in 1997 (God rest him) leaving no one to inherit.  Since the Marquess is also the 25th Earl of Ormond, holder of the longest title in Ireland it seems to me that they would be happy to have the seat occupied.  My husband is Thomas Butler.  It was a Thomas Butler who was named Earl of Ormand by Henry VIII and reappointed by Elizabeth I, so under these sketchy circumstances, I have decided I would be as good a Marchioness as the next person. 
            There are times when a title does say something more about a person than the accident of their birth.  One of those is titles is that of “Doctor.”  If we talk bare minimums here, becoming a doctor involves 4 years of university in pre-med; followed by 4 years of medical school, 3 years of residency and a couple more years for a specialty.  So, if you get through all of this (some time in your early 30’s when others have been gainfully employed for a decade) you have a title that you have earned and paid for. 
            If you have not only earned that title, but have then distinguished yourself enough to be invited to medical conferences known as “Grand Rounds” it is nice to hear yourself introduced as “Dr. Louise Butler.”  Except, that might not happen—if you are a woman.  In a Mayo Clinic study of 124 Grand Rounds conferences from 2012 to 2014, men were introduced as “Doctor” 72% of the time, but women were given their proper title only 49% of the time.  We are not talking about instances throughout the entire conference, we are talking about the initial introduction, the time when setting credentials is both appropriate and essential.  I am not a foaming-at-the-mouth, rabid feminist but, folks, this just isn’t right.
            Nor is this latent diminution of women a problem confined to the medical community.  In 1976 I completed my first master’s degree (I have one in school administration and one in economics and am heartily proud of both).  I was one of a gaggle of four teachers in my school to complete our masters’ that summer.  When school started that fall and we had our “Meet the Teacher” night our principal introduced us as always and, when he got to the male physical education teacher he added the wonderful news that “Mr. Jones is starting work on his master’s degree this year!”  Applause. 
Our principal knew that I and three other women had completed their degrees, but had not mentioned one of us.  He wasn’t being cruel, he was being an ignorant boob.  But ignorance is something that you can correct.  At the completion of the introductions I walked up to the microphone, took it from him with a smile and a thank you and said “I have been asked to introduce the four ladies who have completed their master’s degrees this summer.”  And I did.  Big applause. 
            I didn’t need a law passed.  I didn’t need to use profanity, demand an all-women teacher’s meeting and I sure as Hell didn’t need to be given a “safe” space.  I just needed to act to correct a wrong and did so in a way that saved a little face. 
            When the Marchioness speaks, keep the faith. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Generation of Serfs

Our Beautiful Constitution and its Ugly Opponents

"You Didn't Build That:" Part I