Love for Christmas

If, on December 25, we are celebrating the birth of Jesus of Nazareth, then we are off on both the day and the year.  The consensus of most theologians and historians is that Christ was probably born around 4 B.C.  That means this year should actually be 2015 instead of 2011.  [This means that all of you nuts who are fretting about what will happen when the Mayan calendar gets to 2012 can ease up and find a new conspiracy to concentrate your paranoia on, 2012 has come and gone.]  We have a pretty good fix on the year because, while we don’t know when Jesus was born, we do know when Herod lived and died.  We also have that pesky reference to shepherds watching their flocks by night.  Usually this would be something done during lambing time, which indicates a spring birth for Jesus, not December 25.   So, we have Christmas being a rather arbitrary date, set to celebrate the birth of a poor, lowly born carpenter’s son, who became the pivotal character in the creation of one of the world’s largest religions.  He also, through the mystery of faith and God’s manifest power, is the Savior of all mankind. 

            Of course, you may choose to think that the status of Christ as Savior, Son of God, and part of the Triune God, is as arbitrary a designation as the date of his birth.  That would be your right, but you would also be wrong.  Vocatus atque nonvocatus, Deus aderit (bidden or not bidden, God is present).  Whether you believe or not, the result of Jesus’ birth remains the same, and we celebrate his birth throughout the world. 

            In truth, Christmas is not my favorite holiday.  With the intense pleasure I take in being both an American, and an amateur historian, not to mention a real taste for roast turkey, my favorite holiday is Thanksgiving.  Don’t get me wrong, I am no Grinch.  I do like Christmas, but let’s face it, if it wasn’t for Thanksgiving how would we know when to start putting up Christmas decorations?  Never-the-less, this is a beautiful time, and a magical time, but to be honest (and this is the time of the year to be honest—what with all those naughty and nice lists running around) many of the reasons I love this season are the same ones many people don’t.  But that is because I have a frame of reference.

            I love the glitz and glitter of Christmas.  The more lights the better.  I love the tree and the history of each and every ornament, the bright wrapping paper and—most of all—the Christmas cards.  I love the way we take time, effort and resources to touch the lives and hearts of other people.  I love the elevation of children to an honored part of the holiday.  I love getting those long Christmas letters from people I still care about, but whose lives and geography have drifted away from mine.  I love the Christmas movies that take me back to a younger person and a different time.  I love the carols, which I sing badly but with gusto.  I love planning a holiday dinner.  I don’t mind the mess, the rushing around, the crowds, and the expense.  Why, because I know what I am celebrating.  I am celebrating a great gift given me, over 2000 years ago, but one which I get to feel anew every December 25, no matter why that date was chosen. 

            Enjoy this Christmas.  Tell someone you love them, and why.  Keep the faith.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Generation of Serfs

Our Beautiful Constitution and its Ugly Opponents

"You Didn't Build That:" Part I