An Intolerant Rant Concerning the Word, "RINO."


I don’t know who the snotty, effete little twerp was who invented the term, “RINO” but I need the rest of you to stop using it.  NOW!  It took me forever to figure out why these belligerents kept misspelling, “rhino.”  Then the caps tuned me in to a possible acronym—Republican In Name Only.  I was instantly offended.  Between a Democratic president, senate and husband, I’ve got my hands full fighting the worthy opposition.  I don’t need to be fighting people who have attached themselves to my party and now think they define it for me.   I’ve been a Republican since birth, and a moderate.  I tolerated the Tea Party because I am smart enough not to be threatened by their nonsense.  Evidently they don’t feel the same about me.  Eventually, that’s going to be tough on them.  I am still going to be a Republican long after they have moved on to another victim.  Personally, I can’t wait.

Despite dozens of snarky remarks that I have made about Democrats (every one of them deserved, I might add) the nastiest comments I have ever received have been from Republicans who don’t think I measure up to their definition of same.  These radical Republicans act as if we are a street gang and the only loyalty allowed is unquestioning allegiance to the leader of the pack.  The Republican Party is not a street gang.  We don’t litmus test our members and, while you don’t have to agree with me, my opinion is every bit as valid as yours.  In fact, since I develop opinions through research instead of rote, I actually may have a hand up on you there.

For example, Sen. John McCain is a great human being and a great Republican.  He endured more physical and mental pain for this country than the vast majority of us will ever be able to comprehend.  He has always comported himself with honor.  Disagree with him all you want, but if you don’t do it respectfully I am going to treat you with the contempt you richly deserve.   

For another example, I like Sen. Ted Cruz, but he clearly doesn’t know as much about getting legislation passed as Rep. John Boehner does.  If he did he would have laws instead of ideology to talk about.  We do elect people to get something done, after all.  If you don’t understand and accept that this is a nation rooted in compromise, not winner-take-all aggression, then you need to find some totalitarian state that suits you better.   

What has my teeth itching now is the glee some members of my own party are taking in the current problems of Gov. Chris Christie.  Trust me, the Democrats are going to be going after this man with whips and flaming torches.  We don’t need to help them.   In case you are hopelessly naïve let me explain something, Chris Christie, is the only man that stands between Hillary Clinton and the White House.   Period.  Not only is Christie our only hope, he will make an exceptionally good President, maybe even a great one.  He has everything our current President lacks: a work ethic, intelligence and balls.  He appeals to independent voters, without whom we can not win.  

If you don’t see Christie as our best hope for victory in the next Presidential election feel free to express yourself but remember three things: 1) Ronald Reagan’s 11th commandment, 2) you are wrong, 3) truth does not come from God’s mouth to your ear, so you better use dispassionate intelligence instead.

Be part of a political party, not a street gang, and keep the faith.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Generation of Serfs

Our Beautiful Constitution and its Ugly Opponents

"You Didn't Build That:" Part I