Cultural Awareness Includes the Majority


Decades ago I worked with a woman who belonged to one of the newly emerging churches of the charismatic movement.  We were in casual conversation one morning when she suddenly felt the need to, “witness” to me.  She put her hand on my arm and fervently asked if I had been, “born again.”  I took her hand off my arm, gave it a gentle squeeze and said, “Barb, when you are born Minnesota-Norwegian-Lutheran, once is enough!” 

            I never did tell her that the only part of the conversation that offended me was her hand on my arm.  Another part of that whole Minnesota-Norwegian thing is a cool reserve and a very (!!!) healthy respect for personal space.  I have since become a comfortable and happy, “hugger” but it has taken effort.  Probably the hardest part has been in church.  This whole, “…sharing the peace of the Lord” thing (shaking hands with everyone within three pews of you, including the child with the obvious and vigorous cold) took me years to appreciate.  Keep in mind, when I was a child you walked into church, put your butt in the pew, and kept your mouth shut, your ears open and your hands folded in your lap!  Far from being oppressive, I learned some pretty solid theology that way and am still most comfortable in a contemplative church environment.  But that’s just me.  It is neither right nor wrong; it is just my personal or cultural preference. 

            Respect for other cultures is very politically popular these days, especially if it means empowering a minority group.  This is a good thing, if the respect goes both ways.   One of the most egregious examples of this, “one way” thinking was a team building weekend I was supposed to take part in at an administrative workshop.  The weekend consisted of living in the woods, canoeing, setting up a camp, cooking over an open fire and doing scary things involving ropes and cliffs.  We were supposed to do all of this in order to learn cooperation, trust and mutual dependency.  Getting dirty and buggy were bonuses.  If you exited the woods spitting, swearing, readjusting your, “junk” and growing hair on your chest you had earned your solid gold, “Y” chromosome. 

 There is a strong bias here in favor of the masculine attitude of a team.  I resented the implication that if you wanted camaraderie it had to come from some real, “he-man” stuff.  Evidently, no one had contemplated the thought that you could learn the same laudable attributes by doing a more feminine task.  How about making all those administrators (yes, most of them were men and happy as clams in the backwoods, tic infested country of Missouri) step out of their comfort zone and spend a weekend planning, blocking and sewing a quilt? 

Who says you only learn cooperation around a campfire?  How about a quilt frame?  Who says you only learn trust with a rope and gravity; have these people ever handed scissors to someone entrusted with carefully selected fabric?  How about encouragement and a willingness to train a beginner?  How about trust, loyalty and an, “I’ve got your back” attitude?  Personally, (come the revolution) if I can’t have Seal Team 6 at my door, I’ll take an organized group of, “long arm” gals every time.  Do not mess with these women; they use scissors the way some people use batons!

It would be nice if respect and deference for all cultures gave more than lip service to the rights of the majority. 

While applying sauce to the goose and the gander, keep the faith. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Generation of Serfs

Our Beautiful Constitution and its Ugly Opponents

"You Didn't Build That:" Part I