Conventions and Conforming to Good Citizenship


The Republican Convention is over and my husband is slowly starting to unclench his masculine jaw.  Next week, when we start gavel to gavel coverage of the Democratic Convention, our rolls with be reversed.  I’ll be the one chewing the inside of my mouth (followed by the carpeting, the cabinetry and probably the tires on the car).  We have rules in this house that essentially turn it in to a demilitarized zone in the heat of the political battle.  No snide comments, eye rolling or long-suffering sighs when the other side is talking.  Don’t bring up a topic if you don’t want to hear the other side.  They are sensible rules for us, and, of course, we vote—even if we just cancel each other out. 

            Of course, there are times when we do vote for the same person, or issue.  I’ve only voted against one tax increase in my life, and that was for a county recreational fee for which no one could explain the need.  My husband and I do agree on lots of things.  Chief among these is caring for this nation through conformity to all of the actions of a good citizen.  Tom served in the military and did his time in Viet Nam.  We obey the law.  We support the Constitution.  We vote.  We differ in approach, not substance. 

            The reason I don’t like zealots is their irritating, smug assurance that all truth comes directly from God’s mouth to their ear—exclusive of the rest of humanity.  Wrong!  Here are a few truths that run counter to many stereotypes.

 

(1)    Many of the Godliest people I know are Democrats.  They are devout people who live their faith.  The Republican Party has no lock on believers. 

(2)    Many of the people I know who live lives that reflect the highest ideals of a Godly life are without any faith at all.  Atheists can be very good people living good, temporal lives.  I am married to one, and while I try to set a good example of Godly living, and pray for the Holy Spirit to work in his life, I would not change a single thing about how he lives his worldly life. 

(3)    The vast majority of the people in this country, Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Independent, what-have-you, love this country and want the best for all Americans. 

(4)    Most of us see the same problems, but we differ on the best solutions, the speed necessary to reach the goal, or the division of labor. 

 

So this coming season will test, not the patriotism or humanity of Americans, but our intellectual preparedness, our philosophical outlook, and, yes, our sense of humor.  Make no mistake, I am, by virtue of who I am, how I was raised and sixty-five years of experience, all of which emphasize overcoming adversity through hard work and personal responsibility, a dyed-in-the-wool Republican.  But I am not so vain or ignorant as to think that there are not people who have lived the same kind of life who are equally ardent in their support of Democrats. 

The best example we show the world, every four years, is that we can maintain this vocal, public, heated discourse and settle it at the ballot box.  The enemy here is the occasional nut case (mentally weak and emotionally insecure) who wants to turn this into a personal vendetta.  Personally, I plan on working this election by pointing out what I like about my side, and not attacking what the other side says.  If I find that difficult to do, well, that is why God made good scotch. 

Love they neighbor, and keep the faith.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Generation of Serfs

Our Beautiful Constitution and its Ugly Opponents

"You Didn't Build That:" Part I