My, "Lady Parts" Don't Define Me


When I was in 2nd grade my family lived across the parking lot from the creamery where my father worked.  You couldn’t keep me out of that building.  I knew every machine, every vat, and every worker.  When I informed my mother that some day I was going to be a dairyman like my dad, I was brought nose to nose with her.  She informed me in her urgent voice (I was always her, “difficult” child) that I couldn’t be a dairyman.  “You have to climb to the top of those machines, and the men can look right up your skirt.”  That pretty much settled it. 

I went on to become a teacher, but the sexual stereotyping kept right up with me.  I had been married only two years when I became pregnant.  [I am one of those women who can’t drink out of the same glass as her husband.]   District officials expected me to sign a request for maternity leave starting in January.  My due date was June 9th but school was out June 4th and, frankly, I needed the paycheck.  I planned on working the full term of my pregnancy. 

The school district didn’t share that plan.  In a meeting with the head of elementary education, he insisted I take leave; I insisted I wouldn’t.   The number of men in the room kept increasing, including the superintendent himself.  At one point I tried to leave and was prevented from doing so.  Then I asked the right question.  Stressed and in tears (my usual response to anger) I said, “I have a signed contract.  Can you make me break a signed contract?”

The man across the desk hesitated ever so slightly and moved backwards in his seat.  That was it!  I knew I had them.  They could try to bully me into taking leave, but they couldn’t make me.  I could and would teach the full term of my contract!  I got up, pushed my way out of the room and completed not just that year, but 30 award winning years in education.   My daughter, by the way, was born on her due date, five days after school was out.        

The point is, I became a feminist the hard way; I earned it by fighting the good fight every blessed day of my working life.  It was a battle constantly made more difficult not by the men in my life (I could understand and anticipate their motivation), but by the women.   After retiring to what I thought was the easy part of this journey, I am now met by a group of rabid, lathered women and their witless male henchmen, bent on seeing me as nothing more than my genitals.  The Democratic e-card that beckons women to, “vote like our lady parts depend on it” treats women like simple minded reproductive machines.  Evidently, women shouldn’t be concerned with anything that doesn’t fall between our navel and knees!

Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence, ladies!  I guess my earned master’s degrees in administration and economics don’t count.  My work, my mind, my opinions on such heady philosophies as freedom, historical values, Constitutional guidance and economic reality mean nothing as long as I can get birth control and abortions.  Some group in the Democratic Party spent a great deal of time and money producing a fund-raising vehicle that is both offensive and demeaning.  These people are the most sexist, mouth breathing troglodytes I have ever had to deal with—and most of them are women!

See women as more than the sum of their parts, and keep the faith. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Just about every woman of "a certain age" can relate stories similar to yours. We fought the good fight to get where we are today even though that is still not far enough. Now, certain arrogant white males are trying to limit a woman's right to control her own reproductive functions and to take away the gains that women have won. I urge all women to consider which candidate will best protect those rights.
louisebutler said…
I wasn't fighting for my right to reproduce or not, I have personal control over that! I was fighting for my right to be seen as a human being, not a set of parts. My candidate is going to speak to a host of economic, Constitutional and defense issues. That person will be Mitt Romney, but I can't wait until that person is a woman--like Nikki Haley of North Carolina.

Popular posts from this blog

A Generation of Serfs

Our Beautiful Constitution and its Ugly Opponents

"You Didn't Build That:" Part I