Rick Perry and a Barry Goldwater Republican

I am a Barry Goldwater Republican.  That means I think the accumulation of money and power in Washington is my business, but private matters of religion and morality are not.  While I would like to have my political leaders be paragons of virtue, I consider this an add-on, not a prerequisite.  As I have said before, show me a person who has a sound understanding of economics, a realistic foreign policy and a sense of social justice, and I won’t care if they screw sheep.  I like Republicans who are fiscal conservatives and social moderates.  I like Republicans who are smart.  They don’t have to be formally educated but I do want them to be well read.  I want them to be politically savvy, to enjoy playing the game, but still have ethical lines they won’t cross.   Most of all, I want them to win! 

I must tell you that Gov. Rick Perry is not my dog in the nomination race, but I still don’t like how he has been used either by the media or some of his fellow Republicans.  I live in Texas.  It is a well run state, especially for its size and semi-dysfunctional legislature.  Gov. Perry keeps getting elected because the state keeps working.  We have weathered the poor economy because we didn’t spend like drunken sailors when the times were good.  We work with our diverse population with eyes wide open.  Racial tension exists, but so does a desire for justice.  We spend money for what we need but resist the temptation to act as savior of every living soul in the state.  You need only look at the equally large and moneyed states of California and New York to see what mistakes Texas could have made, but didn’t.  For every person who wants to discount Perry’s function in all of this I would ask, “If he wasn’t the catalyst for this success, why haven’t states with equivalent populations, resources and problems fared as well?” 

It distresses me to hear Gov. Perry derided for being a bad debater.  He isn’t glib.  So what?  We’ve seen glib.  Bill Clinton is glib and history will declare him the fiddler-in-chief while Rome was burning.  Clinton played the same role in the 90’s that Hoover did in the 20’s: blithely over seeing a seemingly unstoppable economy and rose colored view of the world while the stock market headed for a cliff and Hitler plotted world war.  Yeah, I’ve seen glib and it doesn’t impress me much. 

Neither do I think Perry should be given anything but praise for his work with making gardasil available to every young girl in Texas.  This medicine is safe (yes, I’ve read the hysterical babblings on the internet, but I trust science, not conspiracy theorists) and prevents cervical cancer.  If my girls were in the prescribed age group I would mortgage my house to get them these shots.  If you can prevent cancer you do, it’s that simple. 

Finally, the work that Rick Perry has done to improve relations with the Latino community in his state and around the country shows a realistic attitude toward emerging voting patterns and influential groups for the 21st century.  President George Bush worked hard to add Mexican-American voters to this party’s base and saw his work shot to hell by short-sighted Republicans.  Gov. Perry is another Texan who knows the future of the Republican Party is resting in hands of every shade and color.  Perry is wrong about social security, but he has been a good governor, and is right on many, many things. 

Don’t mess with Texas, and keep the faith.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Generation of Serfs

Our Beautiful Constitution and its Ugly Opponents

"You Didn't Build That:" Part I