A Merry Christmas--And All That Means

Every year there are loud and sometimes rancorous debates about how we should make the Christmas season politically correct for a massive and diverse population.  For some people the best way to include everyone is to exclude the Christians for which the holiday was named.  This naïve and egocentric look at the holidays shows a failure to understand the core lesson of tolerance.  Tolerance is a double edged sword.  When you protect a citizen’s right to diversity you also, by definition, place the same burden of tolerance upon them.  That which is given must also be returned, else you lose all.   It is this requisite largess which is truly the sharper edge of the sword.

At its best, Christmas has a positive message of hope, generosity, love and gratitude.  As a believer, Christmas is my time to look forward to the awesome and wonderful gift to come on Easter morning.  If you don’t see it as that, then enjoy the season for the best virtues that it holds.  Enjoy the music, the glitter the emphasis on children and family togetherness.  If the best you can do is Mr. Scrooge’s attitude of, “…let me keep it, then, by leaving it alone.” well, that also is your right.  But you may not use that conviction as an abrogation of my right to celebrate. 

            Offer me a Merry Christmas.  If you absolutely have to say, “Happy Holidays,” or, “Seasons Greetings” feel free, but don’t hesitate to jump in with a, “Merry Christmas.”  It is both joyful and triumphant.

Let me add a few other greetings.  

For all of my Jewish friends: Gut Yontiff and Happy Hanukkah. 

For those of you who are part of the West African diaspora, “Habari Gani?” which is Swahili for, “What’s the News?” This is the traditional greeting for each day of Kwanzaa.  I offer a Joyess Kwanzaa to all of you.  And I applaud your celebration of the seven corps principles.  

How about Namaste, “Salutations to you” in Sanskrit.  For that matter, since Hindus celebrate Dawali, their “Festival of Lights” in the fall, may I add a hearty, “Sat sri akal.”  [Of all the foreign references that celebrate seasonal days of note, this is the one I find the most charming.  It means, “The Timeless, Immortal Power is the Truth.”  Now that is a grand affirmation of faith!]

If you are a Muslim, peace be unto you, “assalamu alaikum.” 

I am so caught up in the season that I will even accept a, “Blessed be” from anyone who practices Wiccan.  

For Christians the deeply religious significance of the Christmas season is obvious.  But there is no doubt that for many people, both non-Christians and non-believers, the season has only secular connotations.  That is fine.  There is enough cheer to go around.  The Christmas holiday has certainly been celebrated in many different ways from grand to somber by Christians themselves.  The Puritans celebrated it not at all. 

Americans get to choose what this season means and how to acknowledge that meaning in their lives.  They are allowed to ignore it, but they are not allowed to deny it to others.  When I say “Merry Christmas” I do not say it to proselytize, nor to offend.  I offer those words as a message of cheer, friendship and good will. 

As for me, I will happily accept any greeting I am offered in return.  I don’t care if you speak Muslim, Sikh, Jewish, Na’vi, or Elvish, accept my Merry Christmas in the spirit it is meant and return it in kind.  Personally, I can use all the benedictions I can get. 

Keep the faith.  Mazel Tov.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Generation of Serfs

Our Beautiful Constitution and its Ugly Opponents

"You Didn't Build That:" Part I