Ferguson, Missouri and Misplaced Racial Anger


Watching the rioting in Ferguson, Missouri is a window on my world.  I lived in Florissant, a short walk across the highway from Ferguson.  I was an elementary school principal in the Normandy School District, where Michael Brown, the black teen killed by a white police officer, went to school. 

            Worst still, I know that the black neighbors who were part of my neighborhood, my children’s friends, guests in my home and, also, viewers of this calamity, feel wariness about both my reaction and their own.  That bothers me a great deal.  Friends should be able to be candid with each other.  

            There are really two issues here, and they need to be discussed discreetly.  First, there is the initial incident.  Michael Brown and a friend were walking down the middle of a street near an apartment complex.  A police office told the two men to move to the sidewalk.  A confrontation occurred and the officer shot Brown multiple times.  Brown died.  That is as much as we know of facts.  Everything else is conflicting stories. 

            Police have extraordinary powers and thus must be held to an extraordinary standard of behavior.  They must also face extraordinary punishment when they violate our trust.  Walking in the middle of the street is not a capital offense.  I also know that if the young men’s response to the police officer was, “Yes, sir.” and a prompt move to the sidewalk, I wouldn’t be writing this column. 

But there is a second issue which needs frank talk.  Here are some facts from the Justice Department.  Each year 7,000 blacks are murdered.  Ninety-four per cent of the time the murderer is another black person.  That is one-third the entire population of Ferguson.

            Black on black crime is the unspoken, unacknowledged and, thus, unsolved blight on black Americans.  Blacks make up 13 % of the population, but account for more than 50% of homicides, which is 6 times that of whites.  In some cities their homicide rate is 32 times that of whiles.  They are also disproportionately victimized by violent personal crimes—assault, rape, robbery.      Here are some quotes from well known black authorities:

Economist Walter Williams:   “A much larger issue is how might we interpret the deafening silence about the day-to-day murder in black communities compared with the national uproar over the killing of Trayvon Martin.  Such a response by politicians, civil rights organizations, and the mainstream media could easily be interpreted as blacks killing other blacks is of little concern, but it’s unacceptable for a white to kill a black person.”

Commentator Juan Williams: “Today’s black leaders sing like a choir when they raise their voices against police brutality and the increasing number of black people in jail…But any mention of black America’s responsibility for committing the crimes, big and small, that lead so many to prison is barely mumbled if mentioned at all.”

Here is an ugly fact.  When blacks kill blacks there are no riots.  When black children have their small bodies blown apart by bullets in gang inspired drive-by shootings the blacks do not loot, steal and burn their communities.  When black police officers are murdered by black eighteen year olds, Al Sharpton does not drag his press people to the community for photo-op pronouncements.  Are black lives only worth a response when killed by whites?  I refuse to believe that.  But I do believe that some members of the black community will use those deaths not to right a wrong, but as an excuse for selfish and self-serving actions. 

Look in the mirror, and keep the faith. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Excuse me. I use to live in North County also. And yes a-lot of the facts you state are true. But can you say that with out a doubt that blacks are not profiled only because of their skin color? I do not think so. And they are aware that they have a-lot of black on black crime and that is entirely another issue. What we are talking about is the killing of an unarmed teen. How many times has that been done to the blacks and other minority races. You see and hear about that a-lot. I feel the police dept has a-lot to answer for. No I do not agree that tearing up their own community is a smart thing to do. But you have to admit they may feel enough is enough. Yes I can say they tired and so are the Hispanics. I live in a very nice neighborhood and one day took a drive through Lake Saint Louis after working in my garden . I was tired and dirty and wanted to take a break so I got a coke to drink and got into my 11 yr old car that I used for picking up garden stuff and drove through Lake Saint Louis beautiful homes to get landscaping ideas. I noticed for 4 blocks a patrol car following me. 4 blocks! I finally pulled over and rolled down my window and said.."Excuse me officers but is there a problem?". You should of seen the look on their face. They were probably taken back by the fact this Mexican woman did not have a Mexican dialect. They probably assume I was casing the area. They stammered and said they thought I was lost and they were offering to help. I brought to their attention I saw them following me for 4 blocks and why didn't they stop me and offer to help awhile back. I then proceeded to tell them I was wise to what they think and they have the wrong person and if they did not leave me alone especially since was not doing anything wrong I would report them for harassing and profiling. They quickly excused them self and went to their patrol car and took off. I think we need to say focus, as teachers would tell us kids and to keep in mind the issue and task at hand. I am now saying that to those who try to justify or make excuses for the killing of this black young man by switching to the "black on black crime" and to those that loot a community as a reason for their barbaric actions for the killing of the young man. Let's make this real and stay on the issue at hand. Another thing I have learned from the school of hard knocks..do not judge till you have walked in the shoes of those you judge. Just saying. :)

Popular posts from this blog

A Generation of Serfs

Our Beautiful Constitution and its Ugly Opponents

"You Didn't Build That:" Part I