George Tsunis, Norway and the Clan Gunn


Several years ago I came within a whisker of being thrown out of a kilt shop in Nova Scotia.  Asking the clerk for help, I referred to her many lovely, “plaids.” She jerked to attention.

“They aren’t plaids.  They are tartans.”  

            I caught both the warning edge in her voice and the cold glint in her eye. Unfortunately, habits are hard to break.   A few moments later I commented that I had found, “…a lovely plaid.”

            The temperature dropped.  Ice formed on the floor below my feet.  The clerk’s eyes bored through me and she pulled herself up to superhuman height.  I heard a deadly whisper, “…and there’s that word, ‘plaid’ again.”  She turned on her heel and left me to find my own stinking scarf. 

            At the register she made a point of asking me what clan I claimed.  Happy to turn to light banner, I explained that I wasn’t Scottish.  “I’m Norwegian,” I said, “…my people were the ones who raped, pillaged and plundered along the Scottish coast.”  Without missing a beat, she said, “Then you’d be of the clan Gunn, they claim a great deal of Viking blood.” 

            Scot, Norwegian, American or Viking, most people have a modest pride in the stock they come from.  We like to think we represent the best of the breed.  So, when you are a guest in a foreign land, it is good to be on your best behavior. 

            Someone should have had that talk about, “visitor’s manners” with George J. Tsunis, President Obama’s nominee as our ambassador to Norway.  With the arrogance of a man who (like the President) wants the title but not the job, Tsunis walked into his Congressional hearings without a single clue as to who, what or where Norway is.  I found his testimony reminiscent of my sixth grade students who hadn’t taken notes or done their homework and were trying to bluff their way through. 

Listen to what the Norwegian press said about his pathetic performance.

“…the total impression was very poor. I do no understand why the US sends a, ‘bullshit-talker’ to Norway.”

            “The nomination is nothing less than an insult against Norway.  This makes it clear that the US kisses up to its enemies while it is condescending towards its friends.”

            My personal favorite comes from a media outlet, referring to Tsunis as, “Tråkket i salaten.” Literally, “trampling through the salad bowl” it is the very polite Norske way of referring to a scatological deposit in the punchbowl. 

            Like me in the tartan shop, Tsunis managed to offend through total ignorance.  But I wasn’t a political appointee.    

            How did Tsunis come to be nominated for his job?  He is a bundler (a big time fund raiser) for Obama.  There is nothing unusual about this.  Presidents reward money-makers with sweet jobs.  During their eight years in office Clinton chose 28% of his ambassadors from fund raisers and Bush 30%; in just six years Obama has boosted his total to 36%.   I don’t mind the quid pro quo, but the nominee should at least have the humility to look up some basic facts about the country to which he is assigned.  Tsunis was too lazy or felt too entitled to bother. 

            I doubt Tsunis could spot a Norwegian flag, or know what Grieg, Munch or Ibsen are famous for.   The heroes of Telemark are far beyond his understanding or appreciation.  Do I want this loser as my ambassador to Norway?  Hell, I don’t even want him as a trivial pursuit partner. 
            Celebrate St. Olav’s Day on July 29, and keep the faith

Comments

BC said…
Hei Louise!

Norwegian-Americans and friends are organizing. It's important to get the message on this to our senators...before the vote in the full senate comes up. There's a petition to be signed at:

https://www.change.org/petitions/sen-robert-menendez-we-ask-mr-obama-to-withdraw-the-tsunis-nomination-or-alternatively-that-the-senate-act-in-the-interests-of-the-u-s-taxpayers-and-ties-with-norway-thus-rejecting-the-nomination

Support of voting-eligible Americans is especially appreciated... thankful also for comments and signatures of our Norwegian friends and relatives.

For those who visit this blog, DO call BOTH of your senator’s offices after signing the above petition. Direct PHONE CALLS/MESSAGES from CONSTITUENTS mean MOST:

http://cair.capwiz.com/cair/directory/congdir.tt

Also, Louise, if you and your contacts and visitors would kindly put this entire message out on your TWITTER, FACEBOOK, LINKEDIN, INSTAGRAM, etc., it would be VERY MUCH appreciated! Takk!

Popular posts from this blog

A Generation of Serfs

Our Beautiful Constitution and its Ugly Opponents

"You Didn't Build That:" Part I