One Man, One Vote

Two days before Christmas my husband and I were making a few last minute shopping stops before heading home to settle into uninterrupted enjoyment of the holiday.  It included the hardware store, because that makes Tom happy, and the liquor store, because that makes me happy.  We picked up some bourbon (also for Tom), some scotch (for me) and a bottle of champagne for New Year’s Eve and joined the line at the cash register.  That is where I go a short lesson in voting equality. 

In the long line in that south Texas liquor store there were both men and women.  There were lots of Latinos, a few blacks, at least one Asian and my husband and I, along with a few other, “Winter Texans” who all look as white and mid-western as a ‘50’s sitcom.   Here is the instructive part:  person after person who came up to the two working cash registers handed over a credit card to pay for their purchases, and every one of them was asked to show a photo I. D.  And guess what?  They all did!  No drama, no complaints, just show the I. D., run the charge card, pay for the liquor and leave.  Merry Christmas!

            If no one gets upset about showing an I.D. to buy liquor, why are certain factions so upset about showing an I.D. to vote?  Isn’t voting more important that buying liquor?  Shouldn’t we guard our one vote more carefully than our whiskey?

            Neither is the need for an I. D. unusual, or the crafty machinations of some nefarious legislature.  Fifteen states require a photo I. D. to vote.  Of these states, all allow you to vote a provisional ballot if you don’t have an I. D. but can meet other criteria. Seven of these states (God bless their serious souls) say that if you don’t provide the required I. D. within several days of the election, that your ballot will be thrown out.  Sixteen other states require an I. D., but it does not have to have a photo.  That leaves 19 states with no voter I. D. laws at all.  I presume you do have to register to vote in these states.  But there evidently is no problem with someone registering, coming to vote, saying they are Louise Butler and voting.  No proof necessary.  Rinse and repeat. 

            The fact is, there is little voter fraud in this country compared to the number of voters, or (more shamefully) the number of non voters.  The problem is that when voter fraud occurs it is done with the specific hope of subverting our democratic process.  It is also meant to be disruptive, illegal and to thwart the precious right of each of us.  One man, one vote is a grand principle.  No matter how rich, how well known, or how much free press you get you only have one vote.  Period.  Any attempt to subvert that is disgusting, anti-American, and must be stopped. 

            Do not tell me that getting an I. D. is too difficult.  Isn’t voting worth a little time and effort?  Do not tell me that it intimidates certain people.  If you have done nothing wrong, you have nothing to fear.  Do not tell me it costs too much.  Most states have ways to get free photo I. D.  I would support the same.  Do not tell me you are opposed to photo I. D. laws.  I will automatically assume that you are trying to fraudulently influence election outcomes—and I would be right. 

            Guard the right to vote, and keep the faith.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Generation of Serfs

Our Beautiful Constitution and its Ugly Opponents

"You Didn't Build That:" Part I